What is Kenya doing about climate change?
Climate change is a major focus of the work of Kenya’s Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (MENR).
Many other organizations including the Kenya Meteorological Department (KMD); the Ministry of Agriculture Livestock Development and Fisheries, Ministry of Energy and Ministry of Transport and The National Treasury among others are working to reduce the negative impact of Climate Change and towards taking advantage of opportunities. Other agencies include but are not limited to the following:
- The National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA). NEMA is the National Implementing Agency (NIA) for climate change work in Kenya.
- In 2010, Kenya launched a National Climate Change Response Strategy (NCCRS)
- In 2013, produced a National Climate Change Action Plan (NCCAP)
- Between 2013 and 2015 Kenya developed a Climate Change Policy Framework and a Climate Change Bill
- Kenya is party to the United Nations Framework Convention in Climate Change UNFCCC)